Special Olympics is dedicated to promoting social inclusion through shared sports training and competition experiences. Unified Sports joins people with and without intellectual disabilities on the same team. It was inspired by a simple principle: training together and playing together is a quick path to friendship and understanding.
In Unified Sports, teams are made up of people of similar age and ability. That makes practices more fun and games more challenging and exciting for all. Having sport in common is just one more way that preconceptions and false ideas are swept away.
Unified Sports competition opportunities include swim relays, basketball, bocce double, golf, track, and soccer.
Becoming a Unified Partner
Partners play an invaluable role in the lives of our athletes — becoming teammates and friends with Special Olympics athletes on and off the playing field.
Details on becoming a Unified partner include:
- Contact Special Olympics Utah at 801-363-1111 if you need assistance in connecting with a Unified Sports team in near you.
- Complete these forms and submit them to your local program:
- Unified Partner Registration Form
- Concussion Policy Form
- Background Check Request Form (required for anyone over 18)
- If you are 18 years of age or older, you must take the requisite Special Olympics Protective Behaviors Training online at learn.specialolympics.org.
- Once you are approved to be a Unified Partner, start having fun!